Monday, March 30, 2009

Writing...with purpose?

Prior to this attempt at writing a novel, I've never gotten past chapter 2. Usually I get started, then stop it because I see some flaw, but this time is different. It's so exciting. I actually think this story line is solid, and I'm on chapter 5 now.

I'm more into writing now than I ever have been, especially after I received an e-mail from a kid in Denmark.

I've started posting short stories on a website called Helium.com. I've posted 2 short stories on there, and each has been ranked #1 in their respective categories. One of them was a "Vampire" story, which was ranked #1 out of 132 submitted vampire stories. Well, this kid in Denmark read the story and wrote me an e-mail with a request. He's at a film school there and his final project for the class is to write a script for a short film. After reading my story he wrote me asking if he could use my story to write his script. I was blown away. That's just...wow. I can't put into words how much that meant to me.

Now, if the kid's script is one of the 15 top scripts in the class, they are going to make a short film out of it, and I'll be credited as the screenwriter. Just...wow. It's too cool.

I've never thought I writing was all that great. I just enjoyed doing it, but maybe there is something more to this than I initially thought. Maybe my writing is pretty good. Idk. I can't get over that some kid in Denmark read my story and was so inspired by it, he wanted to use it to write a movie script for possible production. It's nuts.

So I've decided to post most short stories and excerpts from my novel on the site and see how they fair. Fingers crossed...

0 comments: